Saturday, July 29, 2017

15 Spoken Word Poetry You Cannot Miss Out On.

I like poems and find solace in reading, writing, and listening to poems. It has been few years I've been regularly listening to spoken word poetry. When I tell people, I listen to spoken word poetry so may reply 'me too.' I thought it would be nice to share something I find good. Thus, I have made an attempt to list out some of the most powerful spoken art poetry I often end up listening to on Youtube. 

Disclaimer: 

i) The poems are not in any order of preference. 
ii) I have adhered to the idea of one artist one poem. Do listen to other poems by the same artist. 
iii) This post is work in progress as I might have missed out on some and might want to add other later. 
iv) This post includes all sort of poems from break-up poems to the one you could use in Greenpeace's protest rally. 

So here goes the list: 

1. Michael Lee: The Addict, a Magician



This guy is underrated on youtube. Do listen to his other poems as well, you'll love it.


2. Neil Hilborn: OCD



Probably you've already heard this one :) 


3. Dave McAlinden: If I was your God



I only know this one from the poet. One of my personal favorite. 

4. Hannah Johnson: I'm Still Really Glad I Broke up with You



Smooth :) 

5. Harry Baker: Dinosaur Love




World Champion of Spoken Word :) 


6. Phil Kaye: Repetition




Listen to all of his poem and his Tedx talk.


7. Shane Koyczan: Instruction for a bad Day 




He is very popular and once you'll listen to his poems you'll know why. He also has delivered awesome ted talk "blueprint for a breakthrough". 


8. Sarah Kay & Phil Kaye: When Love Arrives




One of the most popular poems by the duo. You have heard of this too....my guess!!


9. Sarah Kay: The Type




Listen to her other poems as well. She has been to Nepal couple of times to perform too.

10. Aranya Johar: A Brown Girl's Guide to Gender




Very Powerful. 

11. Suli Breaks: Why I Hate School But Love Education




Very Insightful, filled with wisdom :) 


12. Rafeef Ziadah: We Teach Life, Sir!




This is how poets reply to some of the questions...

13. Baz Luhrmann, Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen 




This is a commencement speech (originally) and one of the best you'll hear. 

14. Kunal Kapoor: Sold Bodies




Words and Message...

15. Prince Ea: Dear Future Generation: Sorry




The Greenpeace one ;) 


16: Nawaraj Subedi: मेरो देश हजमोला बनाउछ 




How can I miss one from home? Explains the situation 


17. Ujjwala Maharjan: काली




I saw this performance live when this was recorded. Impressive and powerful. 

These are some of the poems that came to my mind when I was writing this blog. Feel free to add your favorite in the comment. Also, listen to other poems by same artists. 

Happy Listening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment